Urban Riots # Detroit 1967

Police watch as chaos spills into the intersection of 12th and Clairmount in Detroit following a predawn police raid on a blind pig — an illegal drinking establishment. It is Sunday, July 23, 1967. When the violence ended five days later, 43 people had died. The racial unrest became known as the nation’s worst.
Police in a squad car guard a man under arrest on Sunday, July 23. As looting and unrest spread, arrests mounted. In total, police arrested 7,231 people.
Fires spread along Grand River Avenue near Warren Boulevard, an area more than two miles from the epicenter of the civil disturbance. In all, the affected areas covered several square miles. “It looks like a city that has been bombed,” Gov. Romney remarked after a helicopter tour.
Guardsmen cover Detroit firefighters near 12th and Hazelwood streets on Friday, July 28, just two blocks from the raid that touched off the unrest days earlier.
Armed men guard a store against further looting on Monday, July 24. The first deaths attributed to the chaos happened Monday.
Looters smashed this store at Linwood and Pingree streets, about six blocks from the epicenter of the chaos, on Sunday, July 23. The shop next door has the word “soul” spray-painted on the windows. Black business owners rushed to mark their shops, hoping to be spared by looters. Despite their efforts, white- and black-owned businesses were damaged.
Gov. Romney, President Johnson’s envoy Cyrus Vance and Detroit Mayor Jerome P. Cavanagh hold a press conference Monday, July 24, the day after chaos broke out. Romney put in his first request for federal troops at 2:40 a.m. that morning.
Federal paratroopers move into position in front of Southeast High School on Fairview Street. As looting and arson trailed off, a deadly guerilla warfare with snipers began.
A paratrooper guards the shattered front of a looted market.
Smoke billows from West Side housing projects on Friday, July 28, in this photograph taken from The Detroit News building. The last major fire of the civil disturbance erupted on 12th Street between Hazelwood and Taylor streets on Friday. That same day, Cyrus Vance, President Johnson’s envoy, announced the start of a gradual withdrawal of U.S. troops.
Mourners arrive Tuesday, Aug. 1, for the funeral of Tanya Lynn Blanding, 4, who was shot at 1:20 a.m. Wednesday, July 26, when the flash of a cigarette lighter in her building brought a hail of bullets from police wary of snipers.
The devastation is still evident as Gov. Romney walks along 12th Street on Sept. 11, 1967, nearly two months after the civil disturbance.

Photos from The Detroit News Gallery portraying the 1967 Riots .


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s